The purpose of this course is to equip the student to be an effective ambassador for Jesus Christ who is always ready to give a defense for the reality of His existence and for the hope that he offers to all who would receive Him.
In 2 Corinthians 5:20 Paul says; “Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ; certain that God is appealing through us, we plead on Christ’s behalf, ‘Be reconciled to God’”.
In 1 Peter 3:15 Peter says “But set apart Christ as Lord in your hearts, and always be ready to give a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you. However do this with gentleness and respect, keeping your conscience clear, so that when you are accused, those who denounce your Christian life will be put to shame.”
The primary resource that we will use to accomplish this goal will be: I Don’t Have Enough Faith to be an Atheist by Norman Geisler and Frank Turek. The companion workbook manual will be utilized as well.
Main Points to be discussed and learned
- The Truth about reality is knowable
- The Opposite of true is false
- It is true that a theistic God exists. (Evidenced in the following)
Beginning of the Universe (Cosmological Argument)
Design of the Universe (Teleological Argument/Anthropic Principle
Design of Life (Teleological Argument)
Moral Law (Moral Argument)
- If God exists, then miracles are possible
- Miracles can be used to confirm a message from God (i.e., as acts of God to confirm a word from God).
- The New Testament is historically reliable. (Evidenced in the following)
Uninvented (authentic) testimony
Eyewitnesses who were not deceived
- The New Testament says Jesus claimed to be God.
- Jesus’ claim to be God was miraculously confirmed by:
His fulfillment of many prophecies about himself;
His sinless life and miraculous deeds;
His prediction and accomplishment of his resurrection
- Therefore, Jesus is God
- Whatever Jesus (who is God) teaches is true.
- Jesus taught the Bible is the word of God.
Therefore, it is true that the Bible is the Word of God (and everything opposed to it is false.)